Created: 28 May 2010
ILLINOIS BUSINESS EDUCATION ASSOCIATION
Outstanding New Professional Award Criteria
The IBEA Outstanding New Professional Award recognizes business educators who have been employed in the area of business education for no more than 5 years. This award recognizes new teachers who demonstrate innovative or unique teaching methods. Nominees for this award may be nominated by any IBEA member. The recipient will be determined by the Awards Selection Committee and honored at the Fall Conference.
ELIGIBILITY – THE CANDIDATE SHOULD HAVE A MAXIMUM OF 5 YEARS IN THE FIELD OF BUSINESS EDUCATION. The nominee has demonstrated innovative or unique teaching methods that made a positive impact on students in business education courses. In addition, the nominee has demonstrated accomplishments in the following areas:
- Significant accomplishments in the area of business education, including innovative or unique program, impact of program, teacher effectiveness, and teacher and program approach to sex bias.
- Membership, participation in local and state professional associations.
- Professional contributions (may include presentations and publications).
- Involvement in civic and community activities (to include civic, fraternal, and/or honorary memberships and community activities or contributions).
- Membership in IBEA
- Membership in an IBEA affiliate recommended
APPLICATION PROCEDURES – One (1) copy of the following materials must be submitted:
- Biographical Data of Nominee (may not exceed one page, one side only)
- Responses to Award Criterion (may not exceed one page, one side only, for each criterion)
- A 10-point or larger font is required
- Letters of endorsement for the nominee (a minimum of three, maximum of six). Standard size 8 1/2" x 11" paper or letterhead is required, and letters must be limited to one page. These letters may be submitted by colleagues, students, supervisors, administrators, community leaders, etc.
WEIGHTING OF AWARD CRITERIA
- Significant accomplishments in business education - 60 points
- Membership and Service to IBEA, IBEA affiliate, NCBEA, IACTE, NBEA, student organizations, and/or DPE - 20 points
- Professional presentations, publications, and/or legislative activities - 10 points
- Involvement in civic and community activities - 10 points
APPLICATION DEADLINE - All materials must be submitted to the Awards Co-Chair postmarked no later than April 1 of the current year. Mail to:
Dr. Susan A. Timm
Elgin Community College
Building M, Room 105.06
1700 Spartan Drive
Elgin, IL 60123
NOMINATE ONLINE - Award Nomination Form - All nominations must be submitted no later than February 15.
SUBMIT APPLICATION MATERIALS ONLINE - Award Submission Form - All materials must be submitted no later than April 1.
BIOGRAPHICAL DATA OF
Outstanding New Professional Award Nominee
List most recent activities first. You may reproduce this page; however, you are limited to one total page for all categories, one side only. Use 10-point font or larger.
- DEGREES (List degrees, institutions, and years attended.)
- TEACHING/ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE (Give years of experience in business education teaching, supervision, or administration.)
- PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS (Provide name, years of membership, and leadership positions.)
- HONORS AND AWARDS (Provide name of award, years, and name of sponsoring organization.)
Outstanding New Professional Award Nominee
Please type each criterion at the top of a separate sheet of paper. Each response must not exceed one page, one side only. Use a 10-point font or larger.
- SIGNIFICANT ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN BUSINESS EDUCATION - Include information about classroom teaching performance, supervisory or administrative performance, years of experience, subjects taught; give evidence of effectiveness (student, peer, and administrative evaluations). Supporting documentation from students, administrators, and/or professional colleagues incorporated into this narrative is essential to this criterion. (Maximum points—60)
- MEMBERSHIP AND SERVICE TO IBEA, IBEA AFFILIATE, NCBEA, IACTE, NBEA, ACTE, STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS, AND/OR DPE - Include participation and offices held. Relate special activities that resulted in needed changes or improvements in the profession. (Maximum points—20)
- PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS, PUBLICATIONS, AND/OR LEGISLATIVE ACTIVITIES - Include contributions to business education through major articles, refereed publications, non-refereed publications, and research activities (including grant proposals). Describe the significance of such activities on the profession. List—but do not include copies of—articles, monographs, books, etc., published by the nominee. Include participation in legislative activities and events. (Maximum points—10)
- INVOLVEMENT IN CIVIC AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES – Include contributions to business education through religious, civic, government, cultural and private business organizations. (Maximum points—10)