Hello all IBEA Members. I hope your fall has gone well and you enjoyed the holidays. Over the break, many of us take this time to reenergize, rejuvenate, and start planning for our spring courses. Hopefully, many of you who attended the IBEA Annual Fall Conference found sessions to help you in “Setting the Gold Standard” which was the theme for this year’s conference.
2012 IBEA Conference Highlights
The 2012 Conference, IBEA – Setting the Gold Standard, was held November 7-9, 2012, at the Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel and Conference Center in Normal, Illinois. This year’s conference featured:
- Over 40 excellent sessions and speakers
- Two hands-on computer labs with one of the labs being a “bring-your-own” computer lab
- Wednesday evening Gold Reception celebrating our 50th conference
- Two tours of businesses in the Bloomington-Normal area: State Farm Headquarters, David Davis Mansion and Beer Nuts
- Our keynote presentation – The State of our Learning Union is ... CHANGE presented by Corinne Hoisington
- Thursday evening “trivia” con-test and reception
- Exhibit hall featuring many educational exhibitors
- IBEA Awards given to many deserving business educators
Don’t miss next year’s conference which promises to be very exciting. The 2013 conference will again be held at the Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel and Conference Center November 13-15, 2013. Mark your calendar now!
We had three very deserving award recipients this year and several scholarship winners. See pages 4 and 5 of the Winter 2013 IBEA Reports for complete information on the winners. We are asking that each affiliate submit nominees for awards this year. Look around you and see who in your organization may deserve one of these awards. Please go to the IBEA website, www.ibea.org for more information.
In order to streamline the renewal process or to join IBEA, please remember to pay your dues online at www.ibea.org. Keeping current with your membership offers you some very valuable rewards such as:
- Professional Development Opportunities at the Annual Fall Conference including the opportunity to earn CPDU’s or college credit for attending the conference
- Discounted rate for attendance at the Annual Fall Conference
- Legislative lobbying activities for business education in Springfield, Illinois, and Washington, D.C.
- Access to all IBEA Reports newsletters (published three times a year—Fall, Winter, and Spring)
- Members-Only Area access on the IBEA Website
I recently attended the NCBEA conference in Indianapolis, Indiana, November 15-17, 2012. The NCBEA conference “Bridging the Gap” was held at the Wyndham Indianapolis West Hotel. Three Illinois Business Education Association members received awards during this conference.
- Michael Woods received the Emerging Professional Award
- Marcy Satterwhite received the Outstanding Post-Secondary Busi-ness Teacher Award
- Barbara Hagler received the Out-standing Senior College/University Business Teacher Award
Jodee Werkheiser, IBEA President