Thanks to the generosity of Dr. Gloria Bousley, the interest from her endowment from her estate is earmarked for IBEA and has been identified for graduate scholarships. Dr. Bousley received her bachelor’s degree from Evansville College and earned her master’s degree and doctorate at Indiana University. Early in her career, she taught business courses at Bridgeport High School before teaching business and serving as the division chair at Olney Central College from 1971 through the 1990s. Dr. Bousley was very active in state educational organizations and served as President of the Illinois Business Education Association.
The Gloria Bousley Graduate Scholarship was established to provide scholarships to IBEA member graduate students who are actively pursuing business teacher education careers and are specializing in business education at the master’s degree level in an Illinois state-approved teacher education program. The scholarship awards up to $2,500 for outstanding graduate student(s) specializing in business education.
In the event there is no state-approved master’s degree program in Illinois for business education, the $2,500 scholarship money will be made available to assist IBEA members who are business education graduate students with tuition in obtaining a certification, endorsement, or post-baccalaureate that includes advanced study for a master’s degree. To receive up to $500 per applicant per year, the applicant must be teaching in a business education program during the next school year in the area in which they are obtaining the certification, endorsement, or post-baccalaureate advanced study area.
Graduate Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Applications are available on the IBEA website (www.ibea.org).
- Applicants must be current IBEA members in good standing for at least the past 12 months.
- Members and relatives of the IBEA Scholarship Committee are not eligible to apply for IBEA scholarships.
- To receive up to $2,500 for the graduate scholarship, IBEA members must be currently enrolled in a state-approved Illinois college or university business teacher education program or related business area with an emphasis in business education at the graduate level. Applicants must have completed at least two graduate hours (or equivalent) in his/her program. Applicants must currently be Illinois residents who are already teaching or plan to teach in the field of business education. Applicants must be enrolled in graduate classes during the fall semester following application and must provide updated transcripts prior to having payment sent to the college or university.
- To receive up to $500 to obtain a certification, endorsement, or post-baccalaureate that includes advanced study for a master’s degree, the applicant must be teaching in a business education program during the next school year in the area in which they are obtaining the certification, endorsement, or post-baccalaureate advanced study area. The money from the June 15 application round should be used for summer/fall semester, while the September 15 application round should be used for the spring semester.
- The application deadline for 2017 is June 15. If all funds are not spent for the summer/fall semesters by September 15, another application round will occur for the spring semester.
- All scholarship recipients are expected to attend the IBEA Annual Fall Conference, Wyndham Springfield City Centre, from November 8, 2017, through the closing session on November 10, 2017.
Applicants must submit the following to the Scholarship Chair postmarked on or before June 15:
- Completed application form available at the IBEA website (www.ibea.org).
- An essay stating the reasons the applicant has selected business education as a career.
- College transcripts for undergraduate degree and any advanced degrees and/or coursework.
- If applying for the $2,500 scholarship, please send the course schedule for summer/fall semesters.
- If applying for a $500 scholarship, please send current semester and future fall/spring semester teaching load signed off by the department or division chair.
- Two letters of recommendation.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. The IBEA Scholarship Committee will make the final selections and notify all applicants of the results by June 30. Scholarship recipients will be recognized at the IBEA 2017 Fall Conference in Springfield, Illinois.
All forms and other necessary materials to apply for an IBEA scholarship are now available only in the Forms & Documents section under Downloadable Documents. Click the link at the top of the page to access them. You may directly link to the scholarship download section by clicking here.
Application Deadline: May 15 of each calendar year
All applications must be postmarked on or before the above date in order to be considered.
Send completed applications to:
Mrs. Connie Campbell
9524 Roanoak Drive
Rockford, IL 61107