The IBEA Scholarship Fund was one of the beneficiaries of long-time business educator and IBEA member Dora J. Beattie’s estate. Ms. Beattie requested that the funds be utilized to provide scholarships for those who wanted to pursue a career in business education in Illinois.
The Dora J. Beattie IBEA Undergraduate Scholarship was founded in 2011, to encourage outstanding college business students to specialize in business education training. The purpose of the award is to provide scholarships to undergraduate students who are actively pursuing business teacher education certification/careers at Illinois schools. The scholarship is intended to provide financial aid for the recipient’s undergraduate study, for an accredited business education program of their choice in Illinois.
Undergraduate scholarships will be awarded each year to juniors and seniors who are actively pursuing business teacher education degrees. The number of scholarships awarded will be determined by the scholarship committee on an annual basis.
All scholarship recipients are expected to attend the entire IBEA Annual Fall Conference in November in order to be eligible for the scholarship and receive their award.
The application deadline is June 15th of each calendar year and will be for the upcoming school year.
Juniors are eligible for a $5,000 scholarship to assist with tuition.
Seniors are eligible for a $10,000 scholarship to assist with tuition. In addition, a $1,000 scholarship will be awarded directly to the student during the student teaching semester.
(Scholarship monies will be sent to the recipient’s university, one-half awarded each semester.)
Undergraduate Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be community college or university students currently enrolled in an Illinois teacher education program with an emphasis in business education leading to certification in business, marketing, and/or computer education.
- Applicants must be an IBEA student member.
- Applicants must be sponsored by a current professional or retired IBEA member.
- Applicants must be enrolled in undergraduate classes during the fall semester following application.
Applicants must submit the following to the Scholarship Chair postmarked on or before June 15:
- Completed application form available at the IBEA website (www.ibea.org).
- An essay stating the reasons the applicant has selected business education as a career.
- Official sealed community college, and/or university transcripts (no copies or faxes).
- Two letters of recommendation.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. The IBEA Scholarship Committee will make the final selections and notify all applicants of the results by July 31 of the current year. Scholarship recipients will be recognized at the IBEA Fall Conference in Springfield, Illinois.
All forms and other necessary materials to apply for an IBEA scholarship are now available only in the Forms & Documents section under Downloadable Documents. Click the link at the top of the page to access them. You may directly link to the scholarship download section by clicking here.
Application Deadline: June 15th of each calendar year
All applications must be postmarked or received electronically on or before the above date in order to be considered.
Send completed applications to:
Dr. Gary Hutchinson
IBEA Executive Director
3610 Hennepin Drive
Joliet, IL 60431