The Dora J. Beattie IBEA Scholarship was founded in 2011. The IBEA Scholarship Fund was one of the beneficiaries of Ms. Beattie’s estate. Ms. Beattie requested that the funds be utilized to provide scholarships for those who wanted to pursue a career in business education in Illinois.
The Dora J. Beattie IBEA Scholarship was established to encourage outstanding high school and college business students to specialize in business education training. The purpose of the award is to provide scholarships to undergraduate students who are actively pursuing business teacher education careers at Illinois schools.
These scholarships are intended to provide financial aid for the recipient’s undergraduate study, ideally for an accredited business education program of their choice in Illinois. Scholarship monies will be sent to the recipient’s college.
Undergraduate scholarships of $5,000 will be awarded each year to students who are actively pursuing business teacher education degrees. The number of scholarships awarded will be determined by the scholarship committee on an annual basis.
All scholarship recipients are expected to attend the entire IBEA Annual Fall Conference in November in order to be eligible for the scholarship and receive their award.
The application deadline is May 15 of each calendar year.
Undergraduate Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be community college or university students currently enrolled in an Illinois teacher education program with an emphasis in business education leading to certification in business, marketing, and/or computer education.
- Applicants must be sponsored by a current IBEA member.
- Applicants must be enrolled in undergraduate classes during the fall semester following application.
Applicants must submit the following to the Scholarship Chair postmarked on or before May 15:
- Completed application form available at the IBEA website (www.ibea.org).
- An essay stating the reasons the applicant has selected business education as a career.
- Official sealed high school, community college, and/or university transcripts (no copies or faxes). Undergraduate applicants with at least 30 semester hours or equivalent of community college or university credit do not need to submit a high school transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. The IBEA Scholarship Committee will make the final selections and notify all applicants of the results by June 30 of the current academic year. Scholarship recipients will be recognized at the IBEA Fall Conference in Springfield, Illinois.
All forms and other necessary materials to apply for an IBEA scholarship are now available only in the Forms & Documents section under Downloadable Documents. Click the link at the top of the page to access them. You may directly link to the scholarship download section by clicking here.
Application Deadline: May 15 of each calendar year
All applications must be postmarked on or before the above date in order to be considered.
Send completed applications to:
Mrs. Connie Campbell
9524 Roanoak Drive
Rockford, IL 61107